The RequirementsTo be a good fit for the Surface Technician - 2nd Shift opportunity, you will have:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- 1+ years of related work experience, such as in manufacturing; experience in lab settings is preferred, and optical experience would be ideal.
- High mechanical aptitude.
- The ability to:
- Meet measurable standards in a dynamic production environment.
- Add, subtract and understand decimal sequencing.
- Follow written and verbal instructions.
- Depth perception and manual dexterity.
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- The ability to troubleshoot machinery as needed.
- Excellent organizational abilities.
- Attention to detail.
- Strong multi-tasking skills.
- This position requires that you stand and walk for the duration of any shift.
- You'll work with and around chemicals.
- Your work area may be wet and/or dirty.
- You'll need to be able to lift and move up to 20 lbs. to waist height on a regular basis.
The Role and Keys to SuccessRole Overview
You will be part of the team creating lenses according to doctor’s specifications, but while you’ll have some supervision, you’ll still need to be able to analyze situations and use your judgment. We need to be versatile and able to multitask to keep the workflow moving, so you will rotate into all areas of the surfacing department, completing a variety of tasks cross-training across the whole department.
The duties of this position are usually repetitive, but each day will be a bit different as you rotate to the different areas. Specific duties include taping and blocking the lenses, generating, pulling tools, fining and polishing, and lens washing.
Keys to Success
This is a goal-oriented department that loves to make work fun and reward people for doing it. We'll provide training, but change will be ongoing and your own role may evolve. We're looking for adaptable and flexible people who can excel in a fast-paced production environment. If you are someone who is willing to show up and try, as well as to think and learn, every single day, then you’ll find success here.
In addition, in order to be an outstanding Surface Technician - 2nd Shift, you will:
- Bring a proactive approach to learning and getting up to speed quickly.
- Support our commitment to getting Quality Right the First Time.
- Achieve goals independently and also contribute as a team player.
- Manage multiple tasks and priorities effectively.
- Remain flexible and adaptable as processes change.
- Maintain a clean, orderly and safe workspace.
- Bring a commitment to our mission and goals.
More Good ReasonsProfessional development
Our in-house training program will acquaint you with our culture and business, as well as your role. You'll spend time in classroom sessions and also shadow a coach. We're committed to ensuring you thrive at Essilor.
History shows that strong performers can advance their careers at Essilor. Within our shift and department there are plenty of opportunities. For example, success as a Surface Technician could set you up to cross-train in other areas, or pursue advancement to a Group Lead role. In addition, in such a large company there are always other avenues to build your career throughout the organization.
You will join a team that includes dedicated, smart and mutually supportive professionals who come to work with a positive attitude, and who enjoy working together. We are looking for someone who can becomes part of our ‘family’ in the department. Everyone shows up to do their best every day for the team, and the right fit here is someone who is willing to step in when needed, just as every member of the team is willing to do.
Our culture is entrepreneurial, and the company has been innovating both technologically and to solve problems for 170 years. You'll also learn the cultural nuances of working for a company based in another country, if that's new to you.
Truly living our values
At Essilor, we believe everyone deserves to see life and all its detail with the best vision possible. That's why, in addition to designing, manufacturing and distributing quality vision care solutions worldwide, we invest in raising awareness of the importance of good vision, support eyecare professionals, invent new technologies and products, and support philanthropic initiatives. For example, the Essilor Vision Foundation partners with schools, eye doctors, and communities to provide eye exams and glasses to underserved children at no cost to their families. We also are committed to robust standards for environmental sustainability. These are just a couple of reasons we were one of the 52 companies named to Fortune magazine's 2019 Change the World list.
In addition to competitive compensation and bonus potential, we offer an exceptional mix of first-rate benefits, including medical, dental and vision plans; a 401(k) plan with company match; comprehensive training through Essilor University; lens and frame benefits for you and your family; an employee stock purchase plan with company match; and more.
Video: As part of the #DifferenceMakers campaign, Essilor chose four eyecare professionals and three Essilor employees to participate in a mission trip to Southeast Asia in March 2019.